Samuel,

On 2018-10-16 16:31, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 10/15/18 10:14 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
"The backtrace does not contain enough meaningful function frames to be reported. It is annoying but it does not necessary signalize a problem with your computer. ABRT will not allow you to create a report in a bug tracking system but you can contact kernel maintainers via e-mail."

For a long time I have been in the habit of overworking Chrome (eg quite frequently a dozen windows open with hundreds of tabs) but a little while ago, instead of just slowly grinding the system to a halt, these crashes started happening - and then more frequently - now it is up to a couple of times a day before I can even get anywhere near to my usual practice of overloading.  I haven't cleaned out histories or other stuff out of Chrome yet but I think my hardware should be up to handling a decent load but there is obviously something wrong . . and getting worse

You haven't described what happens.  What is crashing, the kernel or
chrome?  What happens when it "crashes"?

Sorry, I wasn't clear - originally (some months ago) the system would slowly grind to a halt - if I got indications it was going to happen, I could sometimes shutdown properly. More recently it is just Chrome crashing out with all the Chrome windows disappearing. I am able to restart Chrome but I suspect the system is left in an unstable state so I usually do a manual reboot anyway . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades