On 10/16/18 4:19 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Samuel,
>

> On 2018-10-16 17:48, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 10/15/18 11:20 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>> Sorry, I wasn't clear - originally (some months ago) the system would
>>> slowly grind to
>>> a halt - if I got indications it was going to happen, I could sometimes
>>> shutdown
>>> properly.  More recently it is just Chrome
>>
>> That could just be some process (Chrome?) using all the available
>> memory and forcing the system to swap badly.
>

> Yes, I think so but I am still surprised that Chrome could cause such a
> result on a
> relatively fast machine with 32GB of RAM.
>

>>> crashing out with all the Chrome windows disappearing.  I am able to
>>> restart Chrome
>>> but I suspect the system is left in an unstable state so I usually do a
>>> manual reboot
>>> anyway . .
>>
>> If it's just Chrome crashing, your system is unlikely to be in a bad
>> state unless you have some indication otherwise.  Try running chrome
>> from the command line and see if there is any useful info when it
>> crashes.  Also check the journal.
>

> There must be some incremental problem that is getting worse with time -
> otherwise how
> is the increasing frequency of Chrome crashes explained?  I think it is
> unlikely to be
> hardware and more likely to be a Chrome problem - which seems to be
> exacerbated by
> watching YouTube videos . . I set up a XFCE Panel button and shell script to
> actually
> play videos with mpv OUTSIDE of the Chrome YouTube Window / tab but that
> didn't help  . .

Not sure if it would make any difference but your subject seems to indicate
you're using
kernel-core; 4.16.15-300?

The latest update is 4.18.13-200.fc28.  Any reason for not updating the kernel?
 Anything
else not updated?

--
Cardinal Rule of Presentations: "Tell them what you are going to tell them,
tell them,