On 11/6/18 11:58 PM, Ron Yorston wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>> While I can't disagree with the general sentiment, I certainly hope Fedora
>> isn't being pigeonholed into "bleeding edge". Fedora also certainly "just
>> works".
>
> Except when it doesn't.  In the week since F29 was released I've
> been bitten by cron not working (1639381) and web pages not rendering
> (1646150).
>
> There's a tension between "bleeding edge" and "just works".  I think
> it's fair comment that Fedora tends towards the "bleeding edge".

As I've said before, Fedora is essentially the beta of RHEL and
(eventually) CentOS. It tends to use more "current" versions of things
than RHEL/CentOS uses, and hence, more teething issues. Is it bleeding
edge? Well, moreso than a "stable" release like RHEL or CentOS (or
Ubuntu LTS, for example).

Eventually, Fedora accumulates enough stability and feature changes that
a snapshot of it gets "frozen", tweaked, and becomes the next major
release of RHEL. A tweaked version of F18 (I think) was the basis for
RHEL/CentOS 7.