On 11/7/18 1:52 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> On 11/5/18 10:03 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> ToddAndMargo:
>>
>> I am struggling with this one as well. To the best of my googling, it
>> seems that the "sync" command needs to be done before clicking "safely
>> remove" (or whatever). Documentation also says that "sudo umount
>> <stick>" should do it, but I have experienced at least one instance
>> where it didn't seem like it worked ... not certain what happened.
>>
>> I am still testing but I "think" I am seeing that doing a "safely
>> remove" and then a sync before physically removing gives best result
>> (as in no pop-up warning). Do not understand why this is.
>>
>> Not happy that the led light is vanishing on newer sticks ...
>>
>> The "sync" command does not appear to be all that nice to the stick
>> and there doesn't appear to be any way to isolate the "sync" to the
>> stick.
>>
>> I would hope that someone on this user-list who is more knowledgeable
>> will correct me with a better way.
>>
>> Best,
>> Paul
>>
>> On 11/05/2018 09:03 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am starting to use flash drive s with no led activity indicator.
>>> In my scripts that write to them, I am able to umount then watch
>>> the blinking lights to make sure it is done before removing them
>>>
>>> But with no led indicator, how can I test from my script to
>>> make sure it is done writing?
>

> This is the dismount part of my script:
>
>      sync; sync
>      umount $StickTarget

You could do

        sync -f $StickTarget;sync -f $StickTarget
        umount $StickTarget

to only sync the USB stick. I'm not sure your really need the second
sync. IIRC you need to "sync;sync" before shutdown in case there's
something being written to a system directory behind the scenes. In
your situation with a specific stick, I don't think that's the case.