> I tried it.  It did not work.

And what does this mean ?
You do have a backup and copy over doesn't work or you don't have a backup ?

you should be more specific, cause nobody knows what's currently up with your
box !

if you got a backup:
===============
do you have the *elder* files ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini and
~/.thunderbird/installs.ini, too ?

if so my profiles.ini looks like this (cat ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini):

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=hzy3mb56.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

[Install3DDF446CE6CB1A45]
Default=hzy3mb56.default

my installs.ini looks like this (cat ~/.thunderbird/installs.ini):

[3DDF446CE6CB1A45]
Default=hzy3mb56.default

- I currently don't know what this files is for -

ls -al ~/.thunderbird/ :

drwx------.  3 ron ron 4096  7. Okt 19:30 .
drwx------. 19 ron ron 4096  4. Okt 22:28 ..
drwx------.  7 ron ron 4096 11. Okt 08:31 hzy3mb56.default
-rw-r--r--.  1 ron ron   45  7. Okt 19:30 installs.ini
-rw-r--r--.  1 ron ron  166  7. Okt 19:30 profiles.ini

hzy3mb56.default is a directory and the name of *my* profile.
normally under that directory lives thunderbird (mails, calendars, adressbook,
settings, etc.)
- "normally" means NO DAV, etc. -

you need to fill that directory with *your* elder contents from your backup !!!

your profile name is different and needs to be exchanged with your *elder*
profile name in the files profiles.ini and installs.ini (see above Path= and
Default=) !

also important user rights and ownership:
rights:

chmod 700 ~/.thunderbird/*.default  (assuming your elder profile name ends on
".default")
chmod 644  ~/.thunderbird/*.ini

ownership: run the following command as user

chown -R <your-user-name>.<your-group-name> ~/.thunderbird

"your-group-name" is usually the same as "your-user-name" and in my case the
command is:

chown -R ron.ron ~/.thunderbird

thunderbird should *NOT* run during the whole above work !!!

please report !