I would check the rating on your HDMI cable, the older ones aren't
supposed to be able to support greater than 1080p rates, so if you
cable is very old it may not support the speed.

There is probably something written on the cable ends and/or the side
of the cable itself.  Mine says high speed on the side which indicates
it can support at best 4k-30 and is an hdmi 1.4 cable (assuming the
ends themselves are also compliant) but nothing more.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI