On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 17:47:14 -0300 "George N. White III" <gnw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 at 16:30, Ranjan Maitra <mai...@email.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 11:49:59 -0700 stan via users <
> > users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JXCR263?tag=aboutcom02lifewire-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4138562%7Cneef17e57867342f0bc4b3af20a9ba60801

> > > I see this in your original email in the xrandr output.
> > > Does that not indicate that it is running at 3840x2160 at 60Hz?
> >
> > Sorry, this line was for the laptop screen. But i have realized the issue.
> > A USB-C to HDMI 2.0 is needed, apparently the type-C multihub sold by Dell
> > does not work for UHD. Changing to the USB-C to HDMI dongle has fixed the
> > issue and 3840x2160 is available.
> >

> Life would be so much easier without cables and connectors.
>

> > I have a different question however: is it safe to work now with the lid
> > closed or will the laptop overheat? I have switched off the screen for the
> > laptop using xrandr.
> >

> With the internal screen off the heat production should be reduced.   The
> laptop shouldn't overheat, but may slow down, depending on ambient
> temperatures.   In our globally warmer future, seasonal migration may be
> necessary to keep laptops running at full speed.
>
>  There are several tools to monitor temperatures, fan speed, and CPU
> loads.   I've never needed to worry about GPU overheating, so I'm not sure
> what, if any, instrumentation is available.

Thanks very much! I just wanted to make sure. I do not want to lose the laptop
in this isolationist environment.

I have a different question, and that is, that the laptop has a HiDPI screen so
needed tweaks to .Xresources to get it to display in a readable way. However,
this is not needed for the attached monitor so is it possible to set things up
so that the laptop screen scales things differently from the monitor? I have
the following in my .Xresources for the laptop screen.

!-------------------------------------------- ! Custom DPI
!-------------------------------------------- !
Xft.dpi: 192
Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xcursor.size: 32

Which looks fine on my laptop but things look fuzzier on the monitor. How do I
get this to be higher resolution for the monitor and it to also work on the
HiDPI screen? I use openbox as my WM (and do not use a DE).

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan