On Mon, 04 May 2020 11:10:06 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> Then let's skip the whole live boot thing and do it the easy way. :-)

        I shut it down, removed the live medium, and let it boot F 31.

> Can you explain what you meant by "blank flashing panels"?

        This didn't happen this time, praise whatever gods there be!

        For the record, I saw two panels, devoid of icons, flashing fast
and brightly, one on each side of the display.

> It's quite likely that we've been trying to solve the wrong problem.
> Do you get a login screen?

        Yes. I opened a terminal which gave me this prompt:

        [beartooth@localhost-live ~]$

> Can you login?

        Yes, with a lot of little boxes complaining about various applets
and  offering to remove them. I told it not to. Then I did su - and it
took my regular root password.

        So I opened Firefox to the Fedoramagazine page for upgrading by
CLI, and started copying & pasting as usual. It got as far as trying to
download F 32.

         Then I got "Problem: The operation would result in removing the
following protected packages: sudo, systemd, systemd-udev (try to add --
skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

        So I added it, and got the identical problem message again. And
there it sits; but at least this time it's a different problem.
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.