On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 17:10, Bob Goodwin <bobgood...@fastmail.us> wrote:

> On 2020-09-15 06:58, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > I will do as you suggest
> °
> Well, never trusting the "mv" command, I decided to do some
> experimenting and did:
>
> [root@nfs bobg]# mv /nfs4exports /home/bobg/Public
>
> expecting to move my stored data into "Public" and it did that but the
> result is not quite what I thought it would be now this is where it is:
>
> /home/bobg/Public/nfs4exports/home

More direct would have been "# mv /nfs4exports/home /home/bobg/Public", but
the hard work of copying data to the big drive has been done.   You should
verify that your root partition has gained the same amount of space that
you
lost on the "/home" partition.   As others have  already mentioned, it
should be a trivial
operation to move the contents of "/home/bobg/Public/nfs4exports/home" to
one of the
parent directories because no files need to copied, just updating some
directories.

> Which I assume is what I would or could export with /etc/ecxports
>
> I think the best ting I might do now is to move thins back to where they
> were, return the data back to /nfs4exports
> But it takes a while to run this and I would like to get it right.

Since your root partition was full before you moved the data to the larger
disk, this would be time consuming and could result in major problems
if root lost any space to other data (logs) and caused the move back to
fail.

It is much safer to leave the data on the large disk and adjust the
directory
structure.   It looks like the choices are to move the contents of
"/home/bobg/Public/nfs4exports/home" into either
"/home/bobg/Public/nfs4exports" or "/home/bobg/Public".    The
second option might mix the contents your original "/nfs4exports/home"
with whatever was in "~/Public" before you added "nfs4exports".
I gather that the only contents of "~/Public/nfs4exports" is the "home"
directory, but it might be a good idea to verify that with "ls -l
~/Public/home".

Years ago, when disks were small and our SGI Irix machines each
had several external SCSI drives attached, I used to keep a text file
in the root of each partition with details of the drive, partition, and
notes on the purpose of the partition.   Something like that might help
you keep track of your filesystem in the future.

> Will this restore what I had originally,
>
> mv /home/bobg/Public/nfs4exports/home   /nfs4exports
>
> or will it create an even longer file name?

In ideal conditions this (run by "root") would restore your original
"/nfs4exports/home", but it is time-consuming and risky due to space
constraints in your root partition.

> Help, my confidence is shrinking,   Bob

You are very close to the desired outcome.   Such mistakes are all
too easy to make, which is why I like a "buddy system" when doing
critical operations.    It also helps to maintain a hand-written log where
you write down the commands you plan to use with an explanation.
Over time you build up a handy reference.

You are welcome to post the command you plan to use here for
comments and advice.  You should mention the current status
and the desired outcome.   Extra credit if you show steps to
verify that the command did what you wanted it to do.

--
George N. White III