On 2020-09-29 23:03, Tim via users wrote:
On Tue, 2020-09-29 at 11:58 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I just want to get the filed off this thing and will consider it an
error in my judgement. I bought an overpriced 4TB hard drive that I
will use elsewhere and happily toss the WD My Cloud housing in the
trash.
The idea of a small network storage device sounds good to a lot of
people, myself included.  But you soon find these things are annoying
to use in various ways.
.
You also find that the design features change with time. This one no longer exists so those changes not a concern for me. It could not be disassembled as shewn in a video I found on line. We used a band saw to slice off three edges since the circuit board does not simply slide out once the end cover is pied off, the remainder is just removal of screws, leaving what appears to be atypical desktop drive.

I need to find the external housing I plan on using to run it rather than put it in a computer at this time. Much of my computer stuff is stored in the attic since a new hardwood floor installation project and I need help finding things so that may have to wait until others return from vacation in a few days.
.
/I have other things that should work however Apple reuses to work with NFS leaving Samba the best option I have it seems. From my experience the best Samba related storage scheme is the router with it's USB port. I have never been able to  make that work on the ASUS router I'm using presently. I intend to deal with that next./

If you have a full computer running 24/7 as a server, you're better off
to add a big data-only drive to it, and use it.  At least you can make
an ordinary Linux install do what you want it to.
I don't know why they call these little boxes cloud servers.  You can't
run software on them, they're just storage.  Well, you can hack them.
But the idea of cloud computing was that you could start running
something on one cloud device, then float it over to another device on
demand.  These things can't do that.

The Apple iPhone does not keep the original file in memory long
enough to extract it to the Mycloud. I assume that is done to save
memory in the mobile device, it sends the original image to their
iCloud server and leaves smaller thumbnails in memory.
That's probably configurable, or ought to be.
.
The equipment may be reconfigurable but the users may not be. From my observations there are enough difficulties in getting the user systems working as they want them to that they wont change what works for them. i have met resistance there.

It should be possible to configure the cloud device into a reasonable
configuration (so long as they haven't taken away features, which is
why some people don't let them auto-update their firmware).

Once you know the IP for the device, you can simply open that address
in your webbrowser and use the device's in-built webserver to change
the settings.  If you wade around, you'll find NFS, SSH, FTP, and other
options you can switch on.  I turned off lots of useless things, to me,
like itunes, media servers, etc., to stop it wasting time indexing the
drive.
.
The ip's are assigned by the router dhcp server and are always known. before yesterday's actions, there was access through my browser and WD's Mycloud server somewhere and with a lot of fiddling I could display trial images I had stored on the the unit on my desk, it was horribly slow and erratic in operation, of no use to me.

They tend to stick everything in a Public folder where everyone can
read and write to.  If you set up individual users, you can have
personal storage spaces in their own names.  However, you often find
they still have read/write permissions for everyone.  They rely on
intermediate serving software to apply access restrictions in the
middle.
  .
My needs would be satisfied wit everything in a Public partition, they can create their own sub directories and put stuff where they like, it is all family users and no outside internet connection. It should be easy to use for all users ...

Thanks for the helpful advice,   Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
FEDORA-32/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3