On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:20:27 +0100 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-10-16 at 08:44 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > As I said in the other response, the reason for how I set things up, and
> > that has worked reasonably well, is that I read e-mail at work and home,
> > but the work machine is the one that I consider to be reliably backed up.
> > It is also bigger in terms of disk. So what happens is that I fetchmail
> > with keep, process e-mail at work using sylpheed and then fire up my home
> > machine (a laptop) and fetchmail with keep from the POP server and the
> > rsync it down (including the .sylpheed_mark and .sylpheed_cache). Then I
> > work on the home machine, continue to fetchmail process e-mails, etc with
> > sylpheed and when I am done (before I hibernate), I rsync it all up before
> > I go back to work, so that when I go to the other (work) machine, I have
> > the same status as I left at home/work. Of course, I need to be careful and
> > vigilant for the reasons you alluded to.
>
> TBH I long ago gave up trying to juggle multiple machines and syncing
> mail. I just use IMAP and let somebody else worry about it. In fact I'd
> do that even if I was the somebody else, as I once used to be. People
> say there are reasons for using POP, and perhaps there are for some
> people, but frankly I've never been convinced by any of them.

Thanks, Patrick! True, but I want my e-mail stored and acted upon locally. In
that case, I do not completely see a way out of my situation, though there are
likely alternative approaches to the same problem.

I use POP simply because the only time I used IMAP with fetchmail it pulled all
the mail from the server (marked it as seen) and it did not work for my
situation. Likely there was some issue with my setup, but I did not bother
investigating and went quickly back to POP.

Ranjan