On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 12:01:59 +1100 Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:

> On 17Oct2020 11:37, Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:
> >>Yes, I can switch to getmail but I honestly don't know how much a learning
> >>curve that would be. Or are you recommending that I use getmail and then
> >>mutt on that (instead of procmail)?
>
> Oh, and getmail doesn't replace procmail, it replaces fetchmail. You
> still need a message filer.
>
> I can't offhand remember why I because unhappy with fetchmail (which I was
> using). It may be because it will only deliver to SMTP/LMTP or a delivery
> programme like fetchmail; when I left procmail for my own mail filer I
> wanted to deliver directly to a Maildir folder ("spool"), which is
> monitored by the mailfiler daemon.

Well, I was unhappy with fetchmail for a while also because it had become
excruciatingly slow and with no development for a while: tends to be an
indicator, as is happening with sylpheed. I considered abandoning it for  a
while but  inertia solved that problem, and a new team took over. I still think
that they have been too slow in moving to 7 (it has been around for a few
years) which is now scheduled to debut only in 2021.

Btw, I also noticed that you use(d) fvwm. I used that for a long time,
switching to openbox (with bouts of pekwm) about 10 years ago.

Ranjan