On Sat, Feb 27, 2021, at 2:12 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 2/27/21 9:50 AM, Doug H. wrote:
> > I am having an odd problem with my ethernet port. I assume this came
> > with a dnf update but that was some weeks ago so I can't help figure
> > out what update might have done it. When first discovered I think I
> > found that booting from an older kernel did not fix it. I assume that
> > the physical interface is not the problem since a physical "bounce"
> > always fixes it and it shows no other problems. To explain that...
>
> Given that an older kernel doesn't fix it, that suggests it might not
> be
> software.  How does it get in this state?  Is it random?  Does it stop
> working after a reboot or does it keep working after a reboot if it was
> working before?  What about a power cycle?

It does not seem random and it does not stop working while the OS is running
except that it does not work after boot/reboot until the first
unclip/pull/push. Oh, and it does stay up/working on resume from suspend
(should have noted that one, seems important).

I did verify this morning that a cold boot does cause the problem. A reboot
(warm) will also cause it. Note that the NIC lights do come on when the
computer is turned on but then the lights go out at some point after the kernel
is selected by grub. So it does seem that linux is doing it...

Hey, I should cold boot to a Ventoy boot stick to see what happens.

--
 Doug Herr
fedoraproject....@wombatz.com