On Sat, Feb 27, 2021, at 4:36 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 2/27/21 4:24 PM, Doug H. wrote:
> >> Is it directly connected to the Pi?
> >
> > Yup, it is CAT5 from port to port. I set it up to get better speeds when
> > transferring files for the Plex player on the Pi. I then started to use it
> > for the ability to "wake on LAN" since the Pi runs all time and this system
> > is often suspended. This is why I waited to fix it. The system runs without
> > this link but I *like* having it so finally sat down and started hammering
> > at it.
>
> Do you have a network switch of some kind around?  If so, try putting
> that in between and see if it makes any difference.  It it does, then
> there might be something to try with ethtool.

I do. Netgear FS116 Fast Ether switch.

This will also help to flesh out what Ed was asking about...

While up and working I added the switch in the middle. Worked fine, the
connection came right back up once both hosts were plugged in.

This also gave me better visibility to the state during boot (the Ed
questions). While booting the 10M light was on and this is the light that
remained on all the way to the grub menu. I did hold there to make sure it was
stable and then set a timer to see how long before the lights go out once I hit
<enter> to select the kernel. That was 8 seconds.

But then comes the kicker...

This time the link came back up (as it used to, working at 100M) and it was
working fine by the time Xfce was up I was able to check. So this issue does
not seem to effect my setup if passing thru a switch.

I did/do still find ethtool to not want to do much:

# ethtool --test enp5s0
Cannot test: Operation not supported

# ethtool --reset enp5s0 all
ETHTOOL_RESET 0xffffffff
Cannot issue ETHTOOL_RESET: Operation not supported

So the good news is that this presents a fully automated (no pull/push) fix.
The bad news is that I would have to live with 24x7 power drain of the switch
since I can't tell it to suspend with my host. I will check the power draw with
my "KillaWatt".

--
 Doug Herr
fedoraproject....@wombatz.com