Tim:
>> Yet, my experience of Office gives me exactly the opposite response.

ToddAndMargo:
> I think it has to do with what you know and what
> your capacity for learning is.  Ever have a
> secretary jump up in your face and tell "I DON'T
> WANT TO LEARN ANYTHING NEW!!" after her boss
> tells you to install new software?

No, but I understand the sentiment.  Many years ago I had to help
someone use Office.  They'd gone on a course for it, and also had to do
homework.  Their home version was different from the school's version,
and they couldn't transfer the knowledge.

I had to delve through all the badly organised menus trying to find the
functions they needed, then work out how they were going to apply to
the data on the page.  Nothing was intuitive.  It's all about learning
its foibles.

It doesn't help when the knowledge is only presented as recipes.

Rather than a task of "format the page in landscape, title the page and
add a table with the items and prices listed below in a coherent
manner" they're given a list of "from the so-and-so menu pick this,
then put 8 and 3 into the first two boxes" etc.  The moment MS
rearranges the menus, which they continually do, they're lost.

> Having used and supported multiple word processors,
> I do have to say that LO is just awkward.

Few complicated applications are straight-forward, but I've always
found Office to be far worse.

Fortunately, I don't use most of the fancy functions, and likewise for
most people.  It's a glorified typewriter with editing and storage.
Though, in the past, I have used some of the more useful automation
features, like generating tables of contents and indexes.  And I have
played with merging and splitting table cells.

Over the last several years, I mostly use it to type up chord charts
for guitarists who can't read musical scores.  That's little more than
heading, sub-heading, body text, and then adjust the styling to fill
the page as best possible, with a few text boxes for playing hints.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.42.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 7 14:49:57 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.