On 10/6/21 4:18 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 10/5/21 12:16, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
My host's cpu is not supported.   I was hoping for a
fake CPU (there are about 20 of them to choose from)
would do the trick.

That's not possible, because QEMU doesn't emulate the CPU.  The host CPU must support all of the instructions that would be present in the CPU that you report to the guest VM.

The reason that the CPU is an option and not directly copied from the host CPU is that guests might migrate from one physical host to another, and they may not have precisely the same CPU (and therefore, not precisely the same set of instructions).  In order to make that more reliable, you can select a CPU whose features are present in all of the hosts that might run a guest, and that guest is expected to limit itself to the instruction set in the CPU you've selected.

So, the CPU option allows you to select a less capable CPU than the one in your host.  It does not allow you to select a newer, more capable CPU.

I was afraid of that.  Dang!  Thank you for excellent
the tutorial.

This looks interesting.  M$ put a key into the registry
to bypass the new requirements.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/