On 10/9/21 06:39, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
So, it remains to be seen what kind of telemetry Microsoft gets back, and whether enough people will end up replacing their hardware. Microsoft definitely wants everyone to upgrade to Windows 11, but if they see that a large percentage will not I think there's a good chance they'll officially drop some of their requirements, and that's the only path forward that I'll trust. I won't trust the registry hacks.

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately the vast majority of my customer base is
Windows.  So, I have several versions of Windows in
VM's so I can support my customers.  I personally
do not use windows for anything other than Go To
Assist and Cobian Backup.  Neither run under Wine.
I run them under Windows 7.  I also need them for
test beds for the Windows Raku programs I write
for my customers.

As far as M$ pulling a fast one, someone will figure
out how to undo it in short order.  And I really
do not care if I can't update it for a few weeks.
I have the updates disabled anyway.  The updates are
hideous in the Windows world and I have to have
my VM's work when a customer gets on the phone.  I
will get back to you in four hours does not cut it.

I also do not have a VM of OSx.  And I survive just
fine.

By the way, the "registry hack" came from Microsoft
itself.  So it will probably be around for a long
while.

I wish I had more Linux work, but I don't.  Linux and
Mac work are a different culture.  You do not spend
endless hours fixing system issues.  You spend you
time installing software and teaching/training
customers.

-T