> On 1/10/23 10:40, bruce wrote:
>> just curious.. no flames..
>>  for you guys who are sysadmins. what linux do you run in production?
>> any reasons why you use the flavor you use/?

I use Fedora Server Edition on all our servers (and MacOS on desktop and
laptop).

It runs stable. Admistration is simple, since the defaults are strongly trimmed
for security and stability. I can very quickly use the latest software versions
and provide additional features for our users.

And especially a release upgrade is a breeze.

Previously I had a mix of Scientific Linux (formerly, a CERN RHEL clone
optimised for universities and research institutes)) and Fedora servers. Over a
period of more than 10 years, I have not noticed any difference in terms of
failures due to software bugs.

However, I do not have a hardware zoo either, but all Lenovo / IBM servers and
2 explicit test machines on which I test all updates, especially kernels,
beforehand. And in early years I had sometimes to skip an update. But that has
gone for at least 5 years now.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast