Thanks, very much, to all!

To answer the questions:

> From: Peter Boy <p...@uni-bremen.de>
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 08:03:25 +0200
>
> > I have three additional drives, two of which are hardware (for historical
> > reasons) RAIDed, and have /home
>
> As it looks, sda and sdc are software raid. If you had a hardware raid, all
> disks attached to the hardware raid controller show up as one drive.  But
> doesn’t matter as long as it works.

I see, thanks! I assumed HW RAID since it was set up through the BIOS ages ago.

> > But, my problem is that /dev/sdb does not appear to have a UUID number.
> > Indeed, I get nothing back when I try:
>
> At first you have to create a partition and a file system on the new drive,
> which seems to be /dev/sdb. (After that you should see UUIDs).
>
> What says
>
> cfdisk /dev/sdb ?

So, I get a new screen come up, and "select label type" from "gpt", "dos",
"sgi" and "sun". I guess this should be "gpt", so I tried that.

The process forward seemed straightforward, and I got a filesystem created with
"Label" gpt, "identifier "some long alphanumeric name" and "Partition UUID" and
of "Partition type: Linux file system", both the last with two other long
alphanumeric names.

I went into "Type" but there is no option for "ext4" ("or xfs", for that
matter) and so left it as "Linux file system" and then "Write" (wrote) to disk
("yes") and "Quit" to move on.

> If you can, create a partition and afterwards a filesystem. Then try e.g.
> mount -t xfs|ext4   /dev/sdb1   /mnt

Here, however, I get:

$ sudo mount -t ext4   /dev/sdb1   /mnt
 mount: /mnt/backup: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

dmesg says lots of selinux-related things, as always, but perhaps the one seems
more useful:

 [64087.184258] EXT4-fs (sdb1): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

and

$ lsblk -f

now has the additional entry:

 sdb
 └─sdb1

But that is it. Nothing more

I suspect that somewhere above, I should have been able to say that it was an
ext4, but I can not figure out which of the "TYPE"s would have given me that.

To answer the earlier questions:

> From: Samuel Sieb <sam...@sieb.net>
> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:07:15 -0700

Now,

$ sudo blkid /dev/sdb1
 /dev/sdb1: PARTUUID="some long alphanumeric number"

(earlier, it gave nothing at all).

$ fdisk -l /dev/sdb

 Disk /dev/sdb: 1.82 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
 Disk model: WDC WD2005FBYZ-0
 Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
 Disklabel type: gpt
 Disk identifier: massive alphanumeric number

 Device     Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
 /dev/sdb1   2048 3907028991 3907026944  1.8T Linux filesystem

> From: Joe Zeff <j...@zeff.us>
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:06:04 -0600

> So use gparted to partition and format it, and give it a label because
> it's easier to type a label into fstab than a UUID.

So, I have parted, and that is probably good enough (I am currently remote on
the machine).

So, I do:

$ sudo parted /dev/sdb

 GNU Parted 3.5
 Using /dev/sdb
 Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
  (parted) TYPE-UUID
   align-check TYPE N                       check partition N for TYPE(min|opt)
         alignment
   help [COMMAND]                           print general help, or help on
         COMMAND
   mklabel,mktable LABEL-TYPE               create a new disklabel (partition
         table)
   mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END     make a partition
   name NUMBER NAME                         name partition NUMBER as NAME
   print [devices|free|list,all]            display the partition table, or
         available devices, or free space, or all found partitions
   quit                                     exit program
   rescue START END                         rescue a lost partition near START
         and END
   resizepart NUMBER END                    resize partition NUMBER
   rm NUMBER                                delete partition NUMBER
   select DEVICE                            choose the device to edit
   disk_set FLAG STATE                      change the FLAG on selected device
   disk_toggle [FLAG]                       toggle the state of FLAG on selected
         device
   set NUMBER FLAG STATE                    change the FLAG on partition NUMBER
   toggle [NUMBER [FLAG]]                   toggle the state of FLAG on
partition
         NUMBER
   type NUMBER TYPE-ID or TYPE-UUID         type set TYPE-ID or TYPE-UUID of
         partition NUMBER
   unit UNIT                                set the default unit to UNIT
   version                                  display the version number and
  copyright information of GNU Parted

I guess I can move mklabel, and then name it (can this be anything?). But where
does it get the filesystem type from?

I did try type NUMBER UUID and the UUID number given above, but got:

 Error: Partition doesn't exist.

Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Ranjan