On 4/3/23 18:09, Tim via users wrote:
Too CPU intensive (I don't have a fancy graphics card).

I would be very surprised if your graphics device didn't have enough acceleration to run Gnome at a completely reasonable level. What CPU usage do you think is involved?

The removal of an organised menu to a disorganised array of several
screens of icons.  Trying to add a menu gave me a hideous alternative
to the simple structured menu Gnome used to have (and Mate still does).
FFS, why do modern GUI systems think that opening a menu should occupy
3/4 of the damn screen, filled with disorganised and continually
changing contents, and having to drill down through bogus crap instead
of just about one sub-menu and just rolling the mouse in and around?!

I find menus annoyingly slow. I love how I can press one key and just start typing to get the application I want. No mouse involved at all.

Icons, icons, icons!  I can't find a damn thing by icons.  The pictures
are a very poor clue.  I might remember one or two of highly regular
use, but most mean nothing to me, and if they're in a different place
than last time, I have to go hunting for it.

Not sure what you're referring to here.

My Android phone and tablet, which these kinds of interfaces are meant
for, are a pain to use when you have lots of applications.  I watch
friends scroll through multiple screenfulls trying to find what they're
after.  Mine's organised, one screen with categorised folders in it,
and appropriate programs inside that.

There are some different interfaces for Android phones. But at some point, there has to be a full list of applications so you can find them. But there's also usually a search field and once you find it, you can put it on your home screen to find it easier later.

I actually like taskbars.  I can put status info I want to keep an eye
on in them, I can remove crap that I don't care about.  They're thin,
and on the edges of the screen.  I can easily switch between the half
dozen apps I've got running simultaneously.  Whacking great big squares
of apps on the desktop are next to useless (they're behind other
things).

I have too many windows for a taskbar to be useful. ALT-TAB and ALT-` work great. Also multiple desktops, so I can put certain applications on particular desktops making them easy to access.

I really do get sick of the re-inventing of the wheel in computing.
Convenient things get taken away, and what was instantly doable becomes
a six-step illogical procedure.

I'm mostly happy with the path that Gnome has taken and it does keep improving in general.