On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 13:23:02 -0500 (CDT)
Michael Hennebry <henne...@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> As noted in another thread, I recently installed F38,
> retaining my /home partition.
>
> When I try to play a .avi file,
> Videos claims "Could not initialise OpenGL support".
> dnf was not a help.
> How do I get videos to work?

Did you install patent restricted packages from rpmfusion.org?  I
think avi is patent encumbered, so can't be included in fedora.

> Firefox is also unpleasantly interesting.
> Firefox was and is set to restore on startup.
> There were a lot of pages to restore.
> They all came up with a single blank tab.
> Do I need to start from scratch?

Is your old profile for firefox present in .mozilla in your home
directory?  It should be if you didn't change home.  If your old
firefox profile in .mozilla is gone, your tabs are gone.  If you have a
backup, you might be able to copy the profile over and restore them.
It doesn't sound like the profile is gone, since firefox tried to open
the tabs, but wasn't successful.  If they were really gone, I don't
think there would even be blank tabs opening.  Firefox is aware of
them, but for some reason can't reach the web to instantiate them. Is
it possible that your dns lookup isn't working?

If the old profile is there in .mozilla and you keep history (deleting
history on close isn't turned on in settings), you have a couple of
alternatives.

If they aren't older, you can just use history->'recently closed tabs'
to click on them and they will open in new tabs

If they are older, you can go to history->'show all history' and see
all the tabs you previously had open by date.  This isn't as convenient
because you will have to alt-tab to open a new tab, Ctrl-t, in the
browser, then alt-tab to the history window to select a url to open
and hit enter. The history item you have selected will then open in the
new tab in your browser. Rinse and repeat. There might be a better way
to do that from 'show all history', one that works more like 'recently
closed tabs', but I'm not aware of it if there is.  Probably a setting
in about:config, if it exists.