On 19/10/2023 17:35, Richard England wrote:

On 10/19/23 07:15, stan via users wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:53:52 +0200
GianPiero Puccioni <gianpiero.pucci...@isc.cnr.it> wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with the keyboard, once in while the key I press
start repeating even after a short press and doesn't stop until I
press another key.

I had to disable the key repeat (not optimal) as it was disrupting my
work. This is going on for months, I waited for several updates to
see if thing got better but to no avail.

My setup is a Laptop Dell G15 F38 with KDE(both X11 and Wayland).
Is there something I can try to fix this?
This sounds like this could be a hardware error to me; the laptop is not
sending the keypress release to the driver.  It could also be that the
driver is not catching the release signal.  Is there anything about the
keypress when this happens that is unique?  Is it a very light tap,
such that it would release very quickly, perhaps causing a failure of
the driver to catch the release?  Or really hard?

I remember that there is an application that when it runs it shows
the key press and key release events, but I can't remember the name of
it. Perhaps someone else knows it.  If you can run that, you can then
try to replicate the error, and see if occasionally a release is missed.
And if it is the way the key is pressed causing the problem.

I believe the utility called "xev" is one of the tools that reports the key press events. It is available for installation in the repos.

~~R

Yes, have that. But I did another update (I didn't see there was some new stuff including a kernel) and using Wayland seems that it works a lot better, either it is fixed or it happens more rarely. Let's see what happens.

Thanks all for the help.