I use my samsung TV (QN90B) as a monitor. Until today, when I turned
it on, the picture would come right up and I could use it immediately.
Now, for some reason, a big banner appears at the top of the screen
telling me it is connected to HDMI 4 and saying what resolution it
is displaying (and the time of day). Is some fancy new power management
turning off the HDMI port when it detects the monitor was powered
down, then turning it back on and inducing the TV to report this info?

It is very irritating.

(I'm using the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.)