Tim via users wrote:

>There's been a few times I've considered doing that kind of thing,
>however some ISPs make it nearly impossible to run anything but their
>own router (they have their approved list).  I'm not sure if mine does
>that.  The other issue is trying to find something that actually is
>better, because lots of review are complete junk.
>
>Some while ago my ISP offered me a free upgrade router.  It was a
>complete disaster.  The 5 GHz WiFi was dead in the water, the 2 GHz
>WiFi failed often.  Sick of arguing with online support, I took it back
>to their shopfront and had it swapped.  The newer replacement 5 GHz
>worked, but it was still always disconnecting things, wanting you to
>log in to continue.  They expected me to accept that I'd have to
>continually reconnect to the network instead of it just working, they
>wouldn't accept that I didn't accept that, nor that various devices
>have no interface for you to do that with.  They couldn't accept that
>my old router didn't have that problem.  Morons!

That's one of the reasons I find consumer "routers" to be barely worthy
of the name. They're really wifi access points with some routing things
built in. I'd say get a good WAP and a separate router that can really
do what a router should be able to do. The ERX I mentioned does not
include any wifi (though I think Ubiquiti does make more expensive units
which do both).
--
         Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA       +1 714 434 7359
       d...@compata.com              dhcl...@alumni.caltech.edu