On 12/5/23 7:39 PM, John Mellor wrote:
On 2023-12-05 8:45 p.m., home user wrote:
(Fedora 38; home workstation; Thunderbird 115.5.0)

In early October, I upgraded from Fedora-37 to Fedora-38.  Since then, I've
been consistently experiencing two types of misbehavior in Thunderbird.

1. When I switch e-mail accounts or folders within an e-mail account, the list
of messages (shows subject, sender, date, time, etc.) consistently scrolls away
from the most recent message by several lines.  It also often does this when I
manually scroll to a desired message and select it.  Further, when I delete a
message, the message list scrolls by several lines.

2. In the calendar, when I select a date and click any of the New Event things
(button, menu item, etc.), the Thunderbird window locks up.  I have to click
the New Event thing a few times before Thunderbird unlocks.  Then a few new
event GUIs pop up.  After that, I am able to create the new event.

These problems showed up immediately after the F37 to F38 upgrade.  So the
problems seem more likely to be the Fedora upgrade rather than Thunderbird
itself.  Six Thunderbird patches (according to dnf history) since the upgrade
have made no difference.

How do I fix this?

The F37 -> F38 upgrade completely messed up the Thunderbird install. That
should have been a blocker issue, but wasn't for some reason. Because of the new
X/Wayland behaviour changes, you need to install the thunderbird-wayland package
as a wrapper to fix the platform breakage, and change your app on the toolbar to
be the thunderbird-wayland wrapper instead of referencing plain old thunderbird.

There are plans to fix this Wayland issue with a Thunderbird redesign , but I
don't think that there is a timeline for that to be released yet. Yes, it sucks
when the platform APIs that your key app depends upon are unstable.  Meanwhile,
this wrapper hack should be put in the Fedora FAQs and the Fedora known
workarounds lists.

I almost always use Gnome with X, not wayland.  Even the test I reported in my
thunderbird-wayland be installed and used by us X users?