Allegedly, on or about 17 June 2013, Gary Stainburn sent:
> My mouse does actually have a middle button (a pressable scroll wheel)
> but pressing this doesn't give me the effect I want either.

Does that button actually work?  One way to test that is to open the
mouse preferences, and use the test gadget to see if all the buttons
provoke a response.

I've got two mice that have been resoldered many times, because they
fall off the desk and hit the middle mouse button/wheel and damage its
connection.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.