>>/  "SMART is not a reliable warning system for impending failure
/>/  Maybe not, but when I had one of these drives going bad about a year ago.
/>/  It did a great job of warning that I had an impending drive failure.
/>/  The relocated sector count would jump in small blocks over time.
/
Interesting, did you get a warning message?

Yes, Root got an email on the first occurrence and then after each re-boot.
Also there was something in logwatch email.
  I had to remove udisksd2
because it kept polling SMART information from a disk that should be
asleep and not kept awake all the time.  I was wondering what the SMART
information is polled for.

>/  The intel storage manager I use under Windows currently does not
/>/  have any warnings about the drives.
/>/
/>/  The bios screen that displays array health when the system comes up
/>/  shows both arrays as healthy.
/>/
/>/  Smart,Intel and the bios  were all in agreement when I had a failing
/>/  disk in the past.
/
Then I guess we can assume that the disks have not failed.

>>/  Do you see any messages in /var/log/messages that could be relevant?
/>/  These are the only messages that seem relevant from journalctl -xb
/>/
/>/  Jul 19 07:35:26 knucklehead.xxxx.com kernel: device-mapper: table:
/>/  253:4: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
/>/  Jul 19 07:35:26 knucklehead.xxxx.com kernel: device-mapper: ioctl:
/>/  error adding target to table
/
It seems likely that this is what causes your problem.  When you google
for the error message, there are a lot of reports about it.  You could
look into them and try to figure out how to solve the issue --- someone
said old meta information caused it, someone else said removing a
package that provides dmraid fixed it for them ...
Yea, I have been looking at those. I was hoping that between here and filing a bug
I would get the best answer.

Thanks
Alan