Sudhir Khanger writes:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> wrote: > Fortunately, creating a new user results in a clean Xfce desktop that works,
> so that's what I'll be doing.

That's to be expected. Even if you remove gnome packages, those config
files are there to stay forever until manually removed.

That doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point of offering one a choice of desktop environments, at the login prompt, if choosing Gnome once ends up hopelessly corrupting all other desktop environments, in perpetuity?

After switching back to Gnome, I didn't see any XFCE bits running, in the Gnome session.

Gnome is just being obnoxious. I've bashed Gnome before, plenty of times, but I can honestly say that, now, it has truly jumped the shark.