On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 08:21:11AM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> That doesn't make any sense to me. What's the point of offering one
> a choice of desktop environments, at the login prompt, if choosing
> Gnome once ends up hopelessly corrupting all other desktop
> environments, in perpetuity?
>
> After switching back to Gnome, I didn't see any XFCE bits running,
> in the Gnome session.
>
> Gnome is just being obnoxious. I've bashed Gnome before, plenty of
> times, but I can honestly say that, now, it has truly jumped the
> shark.

It's a little hard to tell from your description, but I think what you
are seeing is an XFCE feature. See
<http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/preferences#advanced> — or
just go to the session preferences and choose the advanced tab. Uncheck
"Launch GNOME services at startup".

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>