Chris Murphy wrote on 16-DEC-2014 19:53:19.22 16-DEC-2014 19:53:19.22

>On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Jouk Jansen
><joukj at hrem.nano.tudelft.nl> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Toshiba (Satelite C50-B-14C). Window 8 was preinstalled. I turned
>> it into a dual boot by shrinking the Windows partition and installing F20.
>> All was fine until I installed some Windows-updates the other day. The
>> machine then only booted windows. I made Fedora boot again by
>> grub2-install/grub2-mkconfig. However now when you select windows in the
>> grub menu it will not start because it lost its boot-block.
>> I'm not eager to try windows writing its bootsector again, because I'm
>> afraid I will loose grub2 again.
>> Does anyone know this problem? and how to solve it.
>
>Can you boot Fedora and run
>
>$ efibootmgr
>
>and post the results? I can't tell if this computer has BIOS or UEFI
>firmware. I thought all Windows 8 pre-installed hardware are UEFI.

BootCurrent: 0005
Timeout: 0 seconds
Bootorder: 0005,0003,0000,0001,0002
Boot0000* Fedora
Boot0001* UEFI: IP4 Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Boot0002* UEFI: IP6 Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Boot0003* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0005* grub

So I think it is an UEFI.

>Also, what do you mean by "will not start because it lost its boot
>block" - what's the actual error message? If you can take a cell phone
>photo and post that somewhere it might be useful to determine if this
>is a Windows bootloader error or GRUB error.

Error message:

error: file `EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi' not found
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...

>On BIOS computers, grub-install only replaces the first 440 bytes of
>bootloader code on the 1st sector, none of the other Windows
>bootloader stages are touched.
>
>OnUEFI computers, the bootloaders co-exist on the EFI System partition
>in different directories. There's no longer such a thing as boot
>blocks or boot sectors. And grub2-install should be avoided.

Any idea how to proceed?

       Regards
          Jouk

Pax, vel iniusta, utilior est quam iustissimum bellum.
    (free after Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 b.Chr.-46 b.Chr.)
     Epistularum ad Atticum 7.1.4.3)

               Touch not the cat bot a glove

  Jouk Jansen

  jo...@hrem.nano.tudelft.nl

  Technische Universiteit Delft        tttttttttt  uu     uu  ddddddd
  Kavli Institute of Nanoscience       tttttttttt  uu     uu  dd    dd
  Nationaal centrum voor HREM              tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Lorentzweg 1                             tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  2628 CJ Delft                            tt      uu     uu  dd     dd
  Nederland                                tt      uu     uu  dd    dd
  tel. 31-15-2782272                       tt       uuuuuuu   ddddddd