In principle, using ADO.NET and a purely managed database driver would
eliminate most native <-> managed transitions. So in particular, you
shouldn't need to marshal string data back and forth any more. On the other
hand, database and network I/O is still much more of a bottleneck than local
operations ever could be...
How well does adodbapi work as a 64-bit process? Does it just automatically
use a 64-bit version of ADO?