There is CAcert.org, who will issue a certificate which by fiddling IIRC can
be made into a code signing certificate.  But while CAcert.org is a *
recognized* certificate authority, they are not a *trusted* authority
(particularly, they are not trusted by Microsoft) so it's a lot of work to
not come out very far ahead.  http://wiki.cacert.org/ I am on board with
CAcert, and have a CAcert certificate and never bother to use it.
  All other CA's seem to require a "verifiable corporate identity" which
open source user groups probably do not qualify as.  Perhaps something like
the Python Software Foundation does (?).

For now, I would say that leaving them unsigned is fine.  I have even loaded
some (minor) Microsoft corporate products which were unsigned. Most people
don't pay attention.
--
Vernon