Victor,

Obviously there are many variables involved with getting the best performance out of a machine and understanding the 2 environments you are comparing would be necessary as well as the job. I would not be able to get my hands on another E10K for validation or projecting possible gains myself. If your university is looking to expand maybe gettting a sales engineer involved for a proper analysis and proposal would be of interest.

I am curious what benchmark you are using to compare the two platforms though.

-DON
victor marian wrote:

Hi Don,

Seeing your mail, I suppose you are working at Sun. We

have a Sun 10000 Server at our university, and my
program runs almost as fast on 16 UltraSparc2
processors as on a pentium D.The program is perfectly
scallable. I am a little bit dissapointed. Our Sparc
II are at 400MHz, and the Pentium D at 2.8GHz. I could
expect that the pentium is 4 time faster, but not 16
times.
I wonder how a Sparc IV would perform.

                                    Victor

--- Don Kerr <don.k...@sun.com> wrote:

Additionally, Solaris comes with the IB drivers and
since the libs are there OMPI thinks that it is available. You can suppress this message with --mca btl_base_warn_component_unused 0
or specifically call out the btls you wish to use,
example
   --mca btl self,sm,tcp

Brock Palen wrote:

It means that your OMPI was compiled to support
uDAPL (a type of
infinibad network)  but that your computer does not
have such a card
installed.  Because you dont it will fall back to
ethernet. But
because you are just running on a single machine.
You will use the
fastest form of communication using shared memory.
so you can ignore
that message.  Unless in the future you add a uDAPL
powered network
and you still get that message then you need to
worry.
Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
bro...@umich.edu