Hi Jody,

Just to make sure I understand. Your desktop is plankton, and you want to run a job on both plankton and nano, and have xterms show up on nano.

It looks like you are already doing this, but to make sure, the way I would use xhost is:
plankton$ xhost +nano_00
plankton$ mpirun -np 4 --hostfile testhosts -x DISPLAY=plankton:0.0 xterm -hold -e ../MPITest

Can you try running:
plankton$ mpirun -np 1 -host nano_00 -x DISPLAY=plankton:0.0 printenv

just to make sure the environment variable is being properly set.

You might also try:
in terminal 1:
plankton$ xhost +nano_00

in terminal 2:
plankton$ ssh -x nano_00
nano_00$ export DISPLAY="plankton:0.0"
nano_00$ xterm

This will ssh into nano, disabling ssh X forwarding, and try to launch an xterm. If this does not work, then something is wrong with your x setup. If it does work, it should work with Open MPI as well.

For your second question: I'm not sure why there would be a difference in finding the shared libraries in gdb vs. with the xterm.

Tim

jody wrote:
Hi
Sorry to bring this subject up again -
but i have a problem getting xterms
running for all of my processes (for debugging purposes).
There are actually two problem involved:
display, and paths.

my ssh is set up so that X forwarding is allowed,
and, indeed,
  ssh nano_00 xterm
opens an xterm from the remote machine nano_00.

When i run my program normally, it works ok:
 [jody]:/mnt/data1/neander:$mpirun -np 4 --hostfile testhosts ./MPITest
[aim-plankton.unizh.ch]I am #0/4 global
[aim-plankton.unizh.ch]I am #1/4 global
[aim-nano_00]I am #2/4 global
[aim-nano_00]I am #3/4 global

But when i try to see it in xterms
[jody]:/mnt/data1/neander:$mpirun -np 4 --hostfile testhosts -x
DISPLAY xterm -hold -e  ./MPITest
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0

(same happens, if i set DISPLAY=plankton:0.0, or if i use plankton's
ip address;
and xhost is enabled for nano_00)

the other two (the "local") xterms open, but they display the message:
 ./MPITest: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0:
(This also happens if i only have local processes)

So my first question is: what do i do to enable nano_00 to display an xterm
on plankton? Using normal ssh there seems to be no problem.

Second question: why does the use of xterm "hide" the open-mpi libs?
Interestingly: if i use xterm with gdb to start my application, it works.

Any ideas?

Thank you
  Jody