I now solved the "ssh" part of my Problem
The XServer is being started with the nolisten option (thanks Allen).
In Fedora (Gnome) this can easily be changed by choosing the
the "Login Screen" tool from the System|Administration Menu.
There, under the tab "Security", remove the checkmark from
"Deny TCP connections from xserver"
Of course, this needs root access - fortunately,
i am the boss of my computer ;)
Additionally, at least the port 6000 should be open.

This leaves me with my second problem

$mpirun -np 5 -hostfile testhosts -x DISPLAY=plankton:0.0 xterm -hold
-e ./MPITest
Opens 2 xterms from nano (remote) and 3 xterms from plankton(local).
The local screens display the message:
./MPITest: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0:

Which is unbelievably strange, since for all xterms (local & remote)
the output of
   $mpirun -np 5 -hostfile testhosts -x DISPLAY=plankton:0.0 xterm
-hold -e printenv
contains the PATH variable containing the path to openmpi/bin and the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
containing the path to openmpi/lib

Doing
   $mpirun -np 5 -hostfile testhosts -x DISPLAY=plankton:0.0 xterm
-hold -e locate libmpi_cxx
returns on all xterms (local & remote)
/opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_cxx.la
/opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_cxx.so
/opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_cxx.so.0
/opt/openmpi/lib/libmpi_cxx.so.0.0.0

On the other hand, the application has no problem when being called
without xterms:
$mpirun -np 5 -hostfile testhosts ./MPITest

Does anybody have an idea why that should happen?

Thanks
   Jody