OpenMPI has differnt eager limits for all the network types, on your system run:

ompi_info --param btl all

and look for the eager_limits
You can set these values to 0 using the syntax I showed you before. That would disable eager messages.
There might be a better way to disable eager messages.
Not sure why you would want to disable them, they are there for performance.

Maybe you would still see a deadlock if every message was below the threshold. I think there is a limit of the number of eager messages a receving cpus will accept. Not sure about that though. I still kind of doubt it though.

Try tweaking your buffer sizes, make the openib btl eager limit the same as shared memory. and see if you get locks up between hosts and not just shared memory.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
bro...@umich.edu