Boy, it sure looks that way, doesn't it?  So I guess the solution is to
compile a new openmpi directly on my xgrid controller and push that binary
to all the agents.  I should probably do this anyway as the program I am
trying to run is a FORTRAN program, and I'm meant to understand that Apple's
OpenMPI doesn't support FORTRAN either.  Hoo boy.  Thanks Doug, Ethan and
Jeff.

jf