Hi Craig, Terry, Neeraj, list

Craig:  A fellow here runs WRF.
I grep the code and there is plenty of collectives there:
MPI_[All]Gather[v], MPI_[All]Reduce, etc.
Domain decomposition code like WRF, MITgcm, and other atmosphere
and ocean codes has point-to-point communication to exchange
subdomain boundaries, but also collective operations to calculate
sums, etc, in various types of PDE (matrix) solvers that require
global information.

Terry: On the MITgcm, the apparent culprit is MPI_Allreduce,
which seems to be bad on **small** messages (rather than big ones).
This is the same behavior pattern that was reported here on May,
regarding MPI_Alltoall, by Roman Martonak, a list subscriber using a computational chemistry package on an IB cluster:

http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2009/07/10045.php
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2009/05/9419.php

At that point Pavel Shamis, Peter Kjellstrom, and others gave
very good suggestions, but they were only focused on MPI_Alltoall.
No other collectives were considered.

All:  Any insights on how to tune MPI_Allreduce?
Maybe a hint on the other collectives also?
Any benchmark tool available that one can use to find the
sweet spot of each collective?

Many thanks,
Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA

nee...@crlindia.com wrote:
Hi Terry,
I had tested mostly MPI_Bcast, MPI_Reduce, MPI_Gather kind of MPI with openmpi-1.3 and hierarchical option enabled.In all these, i found results slower than regular tuned collectives.

We have HP Blade with intel clovertown processor(two quad core) connected with DDR infiniband clos network.
        Results were tested on 12-16 nodes with 8 mpi process each node.

Regards

Neeraj Chourasia (MTS)
Computational Research Laboratories Ltd.
(A wholly Owned Subsidiary of TATA SONS Ltd)
B-101, ICC Trade Towers, Senapati Bapat Road
Pune 411016 (Mah) INDIA
(O) +91-20-6620 9863  (Fax) +91-20-6620 9862
M: +91.9225520634

*Terry Dontje <terry.don...@sun.com>*
Sent by: users-boun...@open-mpi.org

08/07/2009 05:15 PM
Please respond to
Open MPI Users <us...@open-mpi.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [OMPI users] Performance question about OpenMPI and MVAPICH2 on IB

Hi Neeraj,

Were there specific collectives that were slower? Also what kind of cluster were you running on? How many nodes and cores per node?

thanks,

--td

=====-----=====-----===== Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.Thank you =====-----=====-----=====