By default coll framework scans all avaliable modules and sets the avaliable
functions with the highest priorities.
So, to use tuned collectives explicetly you can higher it's priority.
-mca coll_tuned_priority 100
p.s. Collective modules can have only partial set of avaliable functions,
for example module "sm" not necesseraly  has implementation of MPI_Barrier.
In this case MPI_Barrier will be taken from the module where it is avaliable
and has highest priority. Which means, that if you run MPI_scatter and the
MPI_Barrier, then MPI_Scatter will be taken from sm collective and
MPI_barrier will be taken from tuned collective ( This is an example only ).
Lenny.