I'm not sure that there is a general "best set" of parameters, given the dependence of that set on comms patterns, etc...

Still, this *is* a classic parameter sweep and optimization problem (unlike ATLAS), with a small number of parameters, and is the sort of thing one should be able to hook up fairly easily in a python script connected to a batch scheduler. Especially since you'd be likely to submit and run either a single job, or a number of equal sized jobs in parallel.

In fact, here is a python script that works with SGE
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~swarm/index.php?n=Sge.Py

Now, you'd just have to choose the app, or apps that are important to you

Gus Correa wrote:
Terry Frankcombe wrote:
There's been quite some discussion here lately about the effect of OMPI
tuning parameters, particularly w.r.t. collectives.

Is there some tool to probe performance on any given network/collection
of nodes to aid optimisation of these parameters?

(I'm thinking something along the philosophy of ATLAS.)

Hi Terry

We are also looking for this holy grail.

So far I found this 2008 reference to a certain
"Open Tool for Parameter Optimization (OTPO)":

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h5162153l184r7p0/

OTPO defines itself as this:

"OTPO systematically tests large numbers of combinations of Open MPI’s run-time tunable parameters for common communication patterns and performance metrics to determine the “best” set for a given platform."

However, I couldn't find any reference to the actual code or scripts,
and whether it is available, tested, free, downloadable, etc.

At this point I am doing these performance
tests in a laborious and inefficient manual way,
when I have the time to do it.

As some of the aforementioned article authors
are list subscribers (and OpenMPI developers),
maybe they can shed some light about OTPO, tuned collective optimization, OpenMPI runtime parameter optimization, etc.

IMHO, this topic deserves at least a FAQ.

Developers, Jeff:  Any suggestions?  :)

Many thanks,
Gus Correa