Hi Ralph,

That gives me something more to work with...

On Aug 12, 2009, at  9:44 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:

I believe TCP works fine, Jody, as it is used on Macs fairly widely. I suspect this is something funny about your installation.

One thing I have found is that you can get this error message when you have multiple NICs installed, each with a different subnet, and the procs try to connect across different ones. Do you by chance have multiple NICs?

The head node has two active NICs:
en0: public
en1: private

The server nodes only have one connection
en0:private

Have you tried telling OMPI which TCP interface to use? You can do so with -mca btl_tcp_if_include eth0 (or whatever you want to use).

If I try this, I get the same results. (though I need to use "en0" on my machine)...

If I include -mca btl_base_verbose 30 I get for n=2:

++++++++++
[xserve03.local:00841] select: init of component tcp returned success
Done MPI init
checking connection between rank 0 on xserve02.local and rank 1
Done MPI init
[xserve02.local:01094] btl: tcp: attempting to connect() to address 192.168.2.103 on port 4
Done checking connection between rank 0 on xserve02.local and rank 1
Connectivity test on 2 processes PASSED.
++++++++++

If I try n=3 the job hangs and I have to kill:

++++++++++
Done MPI init
checking connection between rank 0 on xserve02.local and rank 1
[xserve02.local:01110] btl: tcp: attempting to connect() to address 192.168.2.103 on port 4
Done MPI init
Done MPI init
checking connection between rank 1 on xserve03.local and rank 2
[xserve03.local:00860] btl: tcp: attempting to connect() to address 192.168.2.102 on port 4
Done checking connection between rank 0 on xserve02.local and rank 1
checking connection between rank 0 on xserve02.local and rank 2
Done checking connection between rank 0 on xserve02.local and rank 2
mpirun: killing job...

Those ip addresses are correct, no idea if port 4 make sense. Sometimes I get port 260. Should xserve03 and xserve02 be trying to use the same port for these comms?

Thanks,  Jody