On Oct 8, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> No.  Open MPI does not have MPD -- I think you're thinking of a different MPI
> implementation.  :-)

Someone pointed out to me off-list that I wasn't quite clear here...

*If* all of your architectures are the same endian and otherwise equivalent,
you can just compile 32 bit and be ok.  If your architectures are a mix of
endians and/or other representations, you need the heterogeneous support.

Also note that there is a --hetero flag to mpirun that you will need to use.
Here's the relevant bit from mpirun(1):

       --hetero
              Indicates that multiple app_contexts are being provided that are
              a mix of 32/64-bit binaries.

It seems a little klunky to have to specify --enable-heterogeneous in configure
*and* specify --hetero on the command line, but as I mentioned, this is
unfortunately not a common scenario and we therefore haven't really optimized
it.  :-\

I *swear* I just read in some of our documentation somewhere the part about
mixing 32 and 64 bit MPI_DOUBLE (for example), but for the life of me, I can't
find it now.  :-(

For corporate legal information go to: