I'd have to go check 1.4.3 and 1.4.1 to be sure, but I would generally *NOT*
assume that different versions like this are compatible.

Open MPI makes an ABI promise (that started with version 1.3.2) that all the
releases in a given feature series and its corresponding super-stable series
(i.e., x.y.* and x.(y+1).*, where y is odd) are ABI compatible.  But we make no
guarantees about wire protocols being compatible, or other things like that.

So in general, it's "pleasantly surprising" if the different releases work
together, but I wouldn't rely on it *at all*.  :-)