I guess we will play it safe and upgrade every cluster at once so that
we won't get bad surprises.

thank you Jeff.
On 10/29/2010 06:40 PM, Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 29.10.2010 um 18:27 schrieb Jeff Squyres:
>
>> I'd have to go check 1.4.3 and 1.4.1 to be sure, but I would generally *NOT*
>> assume that different versions like this are compatible.
>
> I'm getting confused, as these versions are exactly fitting "x.(y+1).*" which
> you mention below. So they should work together by design.
>
> -- Reuti
>

>> Open MPI makes an ABI promise (that started with version 1.3.2) that all the
>> releases in a given feature series and its corresponding super-stable series
>> (i.e., x.y.* and x.(y+1).*, where y is odd) are ABI compatible.  But we make
>> no guarantees about wire protocols being compatible, or other things like
>> that.
>>
>> So in general, it's "pleasantly surprising" if the different releases work
>> together, but I wouldn't rely on it *at all*.  :-)

If I get it well, ABI compatible means something compiled with x.y.*
will run on x.y+1.* without the need for you to recompile.
mixing x.y and x.y+1 on the same machinefile (and that's what we are
talking about) can only work by accident, not by design.