This might also be in reference to the issue that shed_yield() really does
nothing in recent Linux kernels (there was big debate about this at
kernel.org).

IIRC, there's some kernel parameter that you can tweak to make it behave
better, but I'm afraid I don't remember what it is.  Some googling might find
it...?