Le 2013-01-28 13:15, Ralph Castain a écrit :
On Jan 28, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Maxime Boissonneault
<maxime.boissonnea...@calculquebec.ca> wrote:

Le 2013-01-28 12:46, Ralph Castain a écrit :
On Jan 28, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Maxime Boissonneault
<maxime.boissonnea...@calculquebec.ca> wrote:

Hello Ralph,
I agree that ideally, someone would implement checkpointing in the application
itself, but that is not always possible (commercial applications, use of
complicated libraries, algorithms with no clear progression points at which you
can interrupt the algorithm and start it back from there).
Hmmm...well, most apps can be adjusted to support it - we have some very
complex apps that were updated that way. Commercial apps are another story, but
we frankly don't find much call for checkpointing those as they typically just
don't run long enough - especially if you are only running 256 ranks, so your
cluster is small. Failure rates just don't justify it in such cases, in our
experience.

Is there some particular reason why you feel you need checkpointing?
This specific case is that the jobs run for days. The risk of a hardware or
power failure for that kind of duration goes too high (we allow for no more
than 48 hours of run time).
I'm surprised by that - we run with UPS support on the clusters, but for a
small one like you describe, we find the probability that a job will be
interrupted even during a multi-week app is vanishingly small.

FWIW: I do work with the financial industry where we regularly run apps that
execute non-stop for about a month with no reported failures. Are you actually
seeing failures, or are you anticipating them?
While our filesystem and management nodes are on UPS, our compute nodes are not. With one average generic (power/cooling mostly) failure every one or two months, running for weeks is just asking for trouble. If you add to that typical dimm/cpu/networking failures (I estimated about 1 node goes down per day because of some sort hardware failure, for a cluster of 960 nodes). With these numbers, a job running on 32 nodes for 7 days has a ~35% chance of failing before it is done.

Having 24GB of ram per node, even if a 32 nodes job takes close to 100% of the ram, that's merely 640 GB of data. Writing that on a lustre filesystem capable of reaching ~15GB/s should take no more than a few minutes if written correctly. Right now, I am getting a few minutes for a hundredth of this amount of data!

While it is true we can dig through the code of the library to make it
checkpoint, BLCR checkpointing just seemed easier.
I see - just be aware that checkpoint support in OMPI will disappear in v1.7
and there is no clear timetable for restoring it.
That is very good to know. Thanks for the information. It is too bad though.

There certainly must be a better way to write the information down on disc
though. Doing 500 IOPs seems to be completely broken. Why isn't there buffering
involved ?
I don't know - that's all done in BLCR, I believe. Either way, it isn't
something we can address due to the loss of our supporter for c/r.
I suppose I should contact BLCR instead then.
For the disk op problem, I think that's the way to go - though like I said, I
could be wrong and the disk writes could be something we do inside OMPI. I'm
not familiar enough with the c/r code to state it with certainty.

Thank you,

Maxime
Sorry we can't be of more help :-(
Ralph