On Nov 13, 2013, at 21:05 , Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) <jsquy...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2013, at 4:25 PM, George Bosilca <bosi...@icl.utk.edu> wrote:
>
>>> However, the key here is that MPI_STATUS_SIZE is set to be the size of a
>>> ***C*** MPI_Status (but expressed in units of Fortran INTEGER size -- so in
>>> the sizeof(int)==sizeof(INTEGER)==4 case, MPI_STATUS_SIZE is 6.  But in the
>>> sizeof(int)==4, sizeof(INTEGER)==8 case, MPI_STATUS_SIZE is 3.
>>>
>>> That being said, we *could* change this so that MPI_STATUS_SIZE is always
>>> 6, and have the C<—>Fortran status routines just do the Right Thing
>>> depending on the size/type of ompi_fortran_integer_t.
>>
>> Indeed. We can have an Fortran MPI_Status (only in the Fortran interface)
>> that will be 3 ompi_fortran_integer_t, and alter the translation macros to
>> do the right thing (translate from C int to the chosen Fortran int).
>

> I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing: what you say sounds like
> what we do today:
>
> - in the sizeof(int)==sizeof(INTEGER)==4 case, everything is the same size,
> and nothing special needs to be done

Yes for this part.

> - in the sizeof(int)==4, sizeof(INTEGER)==8 case, the Fortran status size is
> 3, but the C<->Fortran stuff still basically does a memcpy from the C
> MPI_Status to the Fortran array (meaning: the C int’s are not upsized to be
> fortran INTEGERs).

No. The Fortran status must __always__ be 6, because we need enough room to
correctly convert the 3 useful variables to Fortran, plus copy the rest of the
hidden things.These 6 type will be INTEGER (which will then be different than
the C int). The C<->F stuff will do not a memcpy but copy all elements while
casting to the correct Fortran type (ompi_fortran_integer_t).

The fact that we are talking about 3 integers in the Fortran status might
explain the segfault. This number should never be 3 it should be ALWAYS 6 or
the function MPI_Status_c2f will clearly overwrite the memory.

  George.