Em 15-05-2014 18:40, Ralph Castain escreveu:

On May 15, 2014, at 2:34 PM, Fabricio Cannini <fcann...@gmail.com> wrote:

Em 15-05-2014 07:29, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) escreveu:
I think Ralph's email summed it up pretty well -- we unfortunately have (at
least) two distinct groups of people who install OMPI:

a) those who know exactly what they want and don't want anything else
b) those who don't know exactly what they want and prefer to have everything
installed, and have OMPI auto-select at run time exactly what to use based on
the system on which it's running

We've traditionally catered to the b) crowd, and made some not-very-easy-to-use
capabilities for the a) crowd (i.e., you can manually disable each plugin you
don't want to build via configure, but the syntax is fairly laborious).

Ralph and I talked about the possibility of something analogous to "make
menuconfig" for Linux kernels, where you get a menu-like system (UI TBD) to pick
exactly what options you want/don't want.  That will output a text config file that can
be fed to configure, something along the lines of

   ./configure --only-build-exactly-this-stuff=file-output-from-menuconfig

This idea is *very* rough; I anticipate that it will change quite a bit over
time, and it'll take us a bit of time to design and implement it.

Please allow me to chip in my $0.02 and suggest to not reinvent the wheel, but
instead consider to migrate the build system to cmake :

LOL - that would require a massive rewrite that I don't think any of us are
wiling to undertake! Besides, we looked at cmake before, and the negatives
outweighed the benefits from our perspective at that time - not sure we'd
change that opinion today.

Alright, but now I'm curious as to why you decided against it.
Could please elaborate on it a bit ?