> On Oct 17, 2014, at 12:06 PM, Gus Correa <g...@ldeo.columbia.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff
>
> Many thanks for looking into this and filing a bug report at 11:16PM!
>
> Thanks to Aurelien, Ralph and Nathan for their help and clarifications
> also.
>
> **
>
> Related suggestion:
>
> Add a note to the FAQ explaining that in OMPI 1.8
> the new (default) btl is vader (and what it is).
>
> It was a real surprise to me.
> If Aurelien Bouteiller didn't tell me about vader,
> I might have never realized it even existed.
>
> That could be part of one of the already existent FAQs
> explaining how to select the btl.
>
> **
>
> Doubts (btl in OMPI 1.8):
>
> I still don't understand clearly the meaning and scope of vader
> being a "default btl”.

We mean that it has a higher priority than the other shared memory
implementation, and so it will be used for intra-node messaging by default.

> Which is the scope of this default: intra-node btl only perhaps?

Yes - strictly intra-node

> Was there a default btl before vader, and which?

The “sm” btl was the default shared memory transport before vader

> Is vader the intra-node default only (i.e. replaces sm  by default),

Yes

> or does it somehow extend beyond node boundaries, and replaces (or brings in)
> network btls (openib,tcp,etc) ?

Nope - just intra-node

> If I am running on several nodes, and want to use openib, not tcp,
> and, say, use vader, what is the right syntax?
>
> * nothing (OMPI will figure it out ... but what if you have
> IB,Ethernet,Myrinet,OpenGM, altogether?)

If you have higher-speed connections, we will pick the fastest for inter-node
messaging as the “default” since we expect you would want the fastest possible
transport.

> * -mca btl openib (and vader will come along automatically)

Among the ones you show, this would indeed be the likely choices (openib and
vader)

> * -mca btl openib,self (and vader will come along automatically)

The “self” btl is *always* active as the loopback transport