Hi
I have installed Open MPI v 1.10.2 on two machines today using only the
prefix-option for configure, and then doing 'make all install'.

On both machines i changed .bashrc to set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
correctly.
(I checked by running 'mpirun --version' and verifying that the output does
indeed say 1.10.2)

Password-less ssh is enabled on both machines in both directions.

When i start mpirun form one machine (kraken) with a hostfile specifying
the other machine ("triops slots=8 max-slots=8),
it works:
-----
jody@kraken ~ $ mpirun -np 3 --hostfile triopshosts uptime
 12:24:04 up 7 days, 43 min, 17 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.68, 0.65
 12:24:04 up 7 days, 43 min, 17 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.68, 0.65
 12:24:04 up 7 days, 43 min, 17 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.68, 0.65
-----

But when i start mpirun form triops with a hostfile specifying kraken
("kraken slots=8 max-slots=8"),
it fails:
-----
jody@triops ~ $ mpirun -np 3 --hostfile krakenhosts hostname
[aim-kraken:21973] Error: unknown option "--hnp-topo-sig"
input in flex scanner failed
ORTE was unable to reliably start one or more daemons.
This usually is caused by:

* not finding the required libraries and/or binaries on
  one or more nodes. Please check your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  settings, or configure OMPI with --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default

* lack of authority to execute on one or more specified nodes.
  Please verify your allocation and authorities.

* the inability to write startup files into /tmp
(--tmpdir/orte_tmpdir_base).
  Please check with your sys admin to determine the correct location to use.

*  compilation of the orted with dynamic libraries when static are required
  (e.g., on Cray). Please check your configure cmd line and consider using
  one of the contrib/platform definitions for your system type.

* an inability to create a connection back to mpirun due to a
  lack of common network interfaces and/or no route found between
  them. Please check network connectivity (including firewalls
  and network routing requirements).

The same error happens when i use '--host kraken'.

I verified that PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are correctly set on both machines.
And on both machines /tmp is readable, writeable and executable for all.
The connection should be okay (i can do a ssh from kraken to triops and
vice versa).

Any idea what the problem is?

Thank You
  Jody